Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Aftermath of a Life-altering event

It's 10 days since my daughter's wedding and I'm still not back to my "schedule." Of course, my life has NO schedule, so there lies the problem. I've spent the better part of the last 3 months so engrossed with Melissa's wedding- calls to vendors and my daughters, working on all the details, thinking proactively to anticipate every moment and potential issue, making lists, etc, that I don't know what a normal schedule is any more.

How do you get back into a routine after a life-altering or all-consuming event?

I suppose if I had a 9-5 job or young kids at home to force me into a routine, that might help. Instead, I work from home and much of my motivation has to come from within.
It's 1pm and I've done a million things today (except get dressed).
*Client call at 8am.
*Breakfast routine for my dog Celtie and me.
*30 minutes reading "Wedding Goddess" for my market analysis for book proposal (I am writing a book called The Empowered Bride and working on the proposal to send to an agent).
*Semi-Quick look through emails
*30 minute call about a community service fundraiser I am doing this Friday
*45 minute chat with my older daughter Christine (got a kick in the butt to keep writing so I can sell lots of books, promote my business, and help my husband retire early.)

I have a call at 3 with a fellow coach who is going to ask me if I made the promised number of calls I said I would make by 3pm. These are business calls mind you. So far, I have made 0 business calls. I'd rather read Wedding Goddess and see how MY book will be better! My accountability is at question, so now I am in a panic!

There is the nagging thought that I SHOULD get the house clean and walk the dog and put away a few last wedding items or prepare for Melissa and Chris' return from their honeymoon. They will stay with us for a day and then head to Virginia (sniff!)
Even my blogging gets distracted by talking about semi-wedding stuff!

I hate the word SHOULD so I am going to do what I want to do right now.
I am going to get dressed and call some wedding vendors and set up appointments to talk about my book and my wedding coaching service and see where that gets me!

As for the aftermath of a life-altering event, I guess declaring a schedule and getting dressed first would help!
Any other suggestions? Please help!

2 comments:

Morgen M said...

Don't forget to breathe!

I have to keep a regular schedule because of my prescription meds. They dictate the hour I get up and go to sleep. They dictate that I'll need to have some food within an hour of taking the morning dose. They dictate that I'll be running to the toilet for the next 2 hours, so I shower somewhere in that time.

I get my dishes done every morning so that I don't have to face them later in the day when I want to cook something or I'm too hungry to think about cooking and want to nuke something...

I have to feed my animals, so that makes their bowls being clean a priority.

I make my bed in the morning before I shower - it gets made and my bedroom is pleasant for me the rest of the day.

I sleep. When I've been involved in a big project and I'm faced with the "let down" or "decompression" that follows, I allow myself to sleep. I don't take on another project for a little while. If I did, it would mimic bi-polar disorder for me, and that's not something I will even entertain. So, I cut myself a little slack.

Rest, go easy on yourself. Give yourself time to come back to being you.

Morgen

Monica Leggett said...

Hey Morgan,
Thanks. It sounds like you have a real routine that keeps you going. I agree with the sleep after a big event. I'm breathing but with new issues to deal with. My computer crashed and trying to get back what was "saved" on my external hard drive is a lot harder than I thought!
There's always something going on. No rest for the weary.